Roots 77 Bob Marley 77th Birthday Celebration Exhibition Open Call
January 20, 2022
The Bob Marley Foundation invites visual artists living and working in Jamaica to submit original
creations in celebration of the life and work of Bob Marley to be consideration for the upcoming
Roots 77 juried art exhibition. Artworks should emulate Bob Marley’s ideas concerning race,
music, spirituality, love, unity, culture and empowerment. Roots 77 encourages artists to
communicate their vision of the ways in which Bob Marley’s legacy continues to provide spiritual,
cultural, social and musical inspiration for current and future generations. Artworks are to focus
on seven roots of Bob Marley’s legacy:
1. Identity: We are the product of our ancestry and a contributor to our future heritage; we
must look within ourselves to find ourselves. “In this bright future, you can’t forget your
2. Food: What we consume impacts on our ability to carry out our purpose. “Man is a
universe within himself.”
3. Fitness: Our body is a vessel that we should keep intact… “Open your eyes, look within.
Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?”
4. Creativity: “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his
integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.”
5. Rastafari: “Rastafari is not a culture, it’s a reality.”
6. Jah Works: “All we have is from the Almighty, and when we give, we give of the gifts
received from the Almighty”
7. Music: Singers and players of instruments have a spiritual role to play in leading the
people… “My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die.”
The exhibition is open to artists living and working in Jamaica, 18 years and older, whether they
are self-taught or formally trained in the fields of animation, ceramics, digital art, illustration,
mixed media, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, textile & fibre art and video art. The
artworks will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will make final selections based on the
craftsmanship, visual impact and relevance of the pieces to the themes.
Entries must be submitted in person to the Bob Marley Museum at 56 Hope Road, Kingston,
Jamaica, Mondays to Fridays between 10:00 am-4:00 pm. Entries are accepted between January
17 to February 4, 2022.
For more information, email [email protected].